Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Toothy's World

Using textures and a NURBS plane, I made Toothy's universe a little more interesting.  I used a mountain and rock texture for the base of the city, and downloaded textures from the internet to add to the buildings and background.  



Toothy's Universe
Original Glass Building texture
Glass building texture recolored













I downloaded a glass building texture and decided it wasn't dark enough for the scenario, so I adjusted the hue/saturation, levels, and color balance in Photoshop.


Space background courtesy of Google

The story takes place on a floating city drifting in space in some other galaxy or universe, so I decided to add a galactic touch to the environment rather than the pitch black backdrop I had originally intended.  My biggest fear in using it was having the background and the glow from the space backdrop overcast the actual world, so I opted to use dull lighting to de-emphasize it.  The dull lighting also helps in creating the dismal feeling of the universe it's supposed to convey.


Working on the universe



 As can be seen, I manipulated the control vertexes of the plane to encompass the little city in order for the camera to move throughout the world better.
The final Toothy (though far from being perfectly rigged) was loaded into the project and left at the origin while I manipulated the world around him.

Toothy on top of the world



No comments:

Post a Comment